The city's historic Roman Praetorian Gate stood across where Harkers is now. Probably rebuilt around 300AD, the gate was the main entrance to the City of York. Part of this structure is exposed in the basement of our pub. Our building was designed in 1840 as the head office for the Yorkshire Insurance Company, with the building finally completed in 1847. Our name 'Harkers' is taken from 'Harker's Hotel', which stood in nearby St. Helen's Square.